Introduction to our team

Our Team - Caterpillar

We are a batch of students currently studying in DISTED College in the field of Hotel Management. This blog is dedicated to fulfilling our assignment in the subject of Housekeeping Management(HMN403) and also to potentially help out other students who are potentially studying the same subject. A brief introduction to our team can be seen below:

Khor Chin Fah (Leader)
DHM19012
Self Reflection-
"During the field trip at Jen Hotel on 18th October 2019.This time we have a short day of training and experience at the Jen hotel. I have learned a lot of things that I have not learned before. I know that working in a hotel is not as simple as I thought. It's not like working in a cold, wearing the neat formal outfit we've seen. The pressure on this job is very high. If the position is higher, the pressure will be greater. When I was sorting out the hotel room, I saw a lot of different scenes such as littering, toilets, etc. I saw a bit of a breakdown when I saw it, but the person who taught me told me not to worry about making me look carefully. After that, I slowly learned to organize the mirrors of the toilet, the toilet, the drinks and shower gel, the pillows, the sheets, and so on. The staff here are very friendly and willing to teach me the right way to organize the room quickly. The person who taught me this time is a person from Pakistan. Although there is a little problem in communication, it can be understood generally. The staff meal here is also pretty good. I hope that I can go to a good hotel during my internship."

Carmenn Lau Kooi Lim
DHM19014
 Self Reflection-
"Well, for me I would say that I have benefit a lot during the practical training that our lecturer arranged for us at Jen Hotel. It is a bit different from what I thought and the reality is. It is just like what my lecturer say, 3D job. Dangerous, dirty and difficult. Before entering the hotel, I thought it is just all about cleaning beds and tidy rooms. But it is more difficult than what I imagine. There are time limited for tidying and refill supplies in every single room. Maybe is hard to understand how difficult it could be. Just try to imagine staff have to dust, clean, change bed sheet and pillow case, cleaning whole guest room and bathroom area in 15 minutes. And that is not just only for a single room, each of the staff have to handle at least 20+ room per day, several times. Making report on every single room.  Now I realized why people are refusing to work under the 3D job. But, after this training, this job is great and this is the source that make people happy while travelling. So, don’t belittle them. Without their duties, clean accommodation is a no while travelling."

Kang Yin Ying
DHM19015
Self Reflection-
"I would like to thanks our lecturer for arranging the practical training at JEN Hotel for us. That day will really be my most memorable day. Why would I say that? It is because I had a lot of fun and gained a lot of knowledge and techniques that day. It is really different and hard from what I expected before. Housekeepers needs to clean 12-15 rooms per days including cleaning toilet, vacuuming every corner of the guest rooms, change bed sheets, pillow case, refill supplies within 15 minutes. They did every things very fast, smoothly and perfect at a very limited time. Imaging there are some weird people all around the world, will they finish their job within those 15 minutes? It feels really easy at first when watching they clean the room, changing bed sheet and lines but once you do it, you will find it very difficult, dangerous and also dirty. I can still remember at first i hang up a floor mat on the tower shelf instead of bath tower and finish changing pillow case when they already finish changing bed sheet and cleaning the toilet. Experience all this things by yourself still better than watching a video of how a housekeeper clean the rooms. And again, thanks to our lecturer for giving us the chance and thanks for all the housekeeper for keeping the rooms clean and orderly. Without their duties, without a clean rooms, you will not find relaxedness and enjoyment during traveling."
Khoo Jia Ying
DHM19011
Self Reflection-
"I learned a lot of thing about housekeeping during this practical training in Jen Hotel. It’s totally a different way from how we tidy up our rooms at home, not just about neat and tidy, even the way to place an item and the reason why to place is very particular. My buddy during the training, Mr. Liakot Ali, he teach me many technique about how to do things quick and perfectly. For example, it took me very long time just to change a pillow case and also bed sheet, and he say that the main reason is I don’t have enough strength to do it. But in hotel, there is no time for me to waste because there are 20 rooms waiting for a housekeeper to clean up per day. So, he taught me a way which can done faster and also saving my energy. After that I have some improvement on this but still couldn't perfect the skill. Also, I realised that it is not easy to become a housekeeper due to you need time and also experiences to perfect your skills in every details. Although I can tell that the housekeepers are very tired through the whole day, but they still never forget to greet the customer with a big smile and meet customer requirements as much as possible. Be a housekeeper is definitely a 3D job which many people refuse to do it and look down on them. But never despise a housekeeper because a hotel without housekeepers simply could not function properly."

Lim Yi Kean
DHM19013
Self Reflection-
"During my field trip/practical training at Jen Hotel, I have gotten the opportunity to experience several new things. Firstly, we was briefed on the basics of housekeeping by the Executive Housekeeper, Mr.Wira, such as the types of chemicals used, the organisational chart, the do’s and don’ts etc. After that, we were given a lunch break and dined at the staff canteen. Once the lunch break was over, we went back to work with our assigned mentors, who are the housekeepers of Jen Hotel. During my time with my mentor, I was taught the basics of the color-coded microfiber cloths and their uses, how to fold linen, how and where to put the towels, and the way to make a bed. I was also briefed on the correct way to arrange and place the amenities. After setting everything in place(making the bed, cleaning the restroom & dusting the furniture), the rooms are vacuumed and thus, can be crossed off the list. All in all, I would like to thank the housekeepers of Jen Hotel who were willing to share their knowledge with us."



Pravin Raj
DHM19017
Self Reflection-
"It was an amazing and exciting opportunity to learn about housekeeping at JEN Hotel. It had a lot of procedures for housekeeping. I observed since the beginning knocking 3 times saying housekeeping to the chemicals for each uses, Different color of cloth for each different purposes, and equipment organized in the chambermaid trolley from bottom to top. The housekeeper was very friendly and calm to teach me everything. I would like to thank our lecture for this useful assignment. Im sure itll help me a lot in future."




Sim Ch'ng Vee Ter
DHM19001
         Self Reflection-
         "I have learned a lot of things through the practical training in Jen hotel that Mr.Ravi has arranged for us .On that day, we were super nervous even before we did our practical, even though Mr.Ravi has thought us everything we need to know for the housekeeping such as the code word for the housekeeping, the accessory, the cart, and how to do the housekeeping. The practical is so much different then what I have expected as we not only have to do the housekeeping clean but also fast because we have at least 24 room to clean and have to clean it twice pre-day even though we have the helper with us to finish the job we are still super tiring after the day can’t imagine what will happen if they have to do it without us. Firstly we have to clear the rubbish and clean the towel then we have to clear the glass with special soap then we will clean the basin and the toilet bowl, after that we will have to refill all the shampoo and the towel. After the bathroom, we have to clean the bed and change the bed sheet and the mattress and vacuum the floor in 15 minutes.being a housekeeper is not an easy job and also not a job that people wan to do but without them the structure of the hotel will fall and we will not able to have the luxury to enjoy the comfy bed and the ability to use a clean towel."

Comments

Popular Posts